DoorDash is an amazing service for anyone who likes to eat out and order delivery. It’s a unique experience because you’re not just getting food delivered to your home –you’re getting it delivered directly to your door, without ever having to leave your house and without speaking directly with another person. The entire process is handled online, through an app.
If you live with someone else, or are perhaps living in some other sort of shared space like a dormitory or hotel, you might want to order from DoorDash for them as well. After all, it’s a great food delivery service no matter who you are! You just need to know how to make that happen if you can’t do it yourself already. Keep reading to learn more.
Can you order food for someone else on DoorDash?
Yes, you can order food for someone else on DoorDash. In some cases, you might even be able to order for a group of people. The process for ordering for a group might vary slightly from restaurant to restaurant and situation to situation.
There are a few circumstances where you might need to do this:
- If the person you are ordering for is unable to do so themselves (e.g. they are sick, elderly, or have a disability).
- If the person you are ordering for is in a different location from you and cannot get to a restaurant themselves.
- If the person you are ordering for is busy and cannot take the time to order themselves.
- If you are ordering for a group of people and want to make sure everyone gets what they want.
- If you are ordering as a surprise for someone and don’t want them to know what you are getting them.
How to Order Food for Someone Else With DoorDash
If you’ve decided to order for someone else with DoorDash, you’re probably wondering how to go about it. It’s a great idea to order for others to show hospitality, whether to your fellow roommates or to a houseguest or even to your parents. It can also come in handy if you want to offer to order for a sick friend.
There are a few ways to do this, depending on whether the person you want to order for has an account with DoorDash or not.
Using the Guest Access Feature
If you want to order for someone without an account, you can use the guest access feature to log them in, allowing you to place an order for them without creating an account for them. This feature is convenient for someone who is just staying with you for a short time, like a houseguest or someone who has just moved in with you, or for someone who just doesn’t have or want an account with the service.
If the person doesn’t have an account with DoorDash, you can log them in by selecting the “Guest Access” option at the bottom of the screen. You’ll need to enter their name, phone number, and a delivery instruction, like “Leave at the back door” or “Leave with the manager.” You can then proceed to select the order you want to place, and the app will prompt you to enter the payment method for the person you’re ordering for.
Change the Delivery Address
If you want to change the delivery address to deliver the food for someone else, follow the same steps as you would to change it to deliver the food to yourself.
- Look at your delivery address first when you log into DoorDash. Change it to the recipient’s address.
- The available restaurant will also change as soon as your address is modified.
- Select the food from the menu
- Pay for it and if there are any specific delivery instructions once payment has been received, be sure to specify them.
- Send your order
Order Gift Delivery
You can turn any DoorDash order into a gift order by selecting the “Gift” option at the bottom of the app. You’ll be able to enter the recipient’s name and the address where you want the food delivered. If the food you’re ordering is perishable, like dairy products or ice cream, the recipient will receive an e-gift card for the gift, but if it’s nonperishable, like pizza or Chinese food, the recipient will receive a gift card in the mail. If the order is over $50, the recipient will also receive a promo code for $5 off their next order with DoorDash.
Things to keep in mind when ordering for someone else
There are a few things to keep in mind when ordering for someone else:
- Make sure you know what the person you are ordering for likes to eat. You don’t want to order them something they won’t enjoy.
- If you are ordering for someone in a different location, make sure you have their address so the food can be delivered to them.
- If you are ordering for a group, make sure you have everyone’s order so you can place one big order instead of several smaller ones.
- Make sure you include any special instructions with your order (e.g. if the person you are ordering for has allergies).
- Be aware that you may have to pay a delivery fee when ordering for someone else.
Depending on where you live, there are several ways to get your DoorDash food. If you have friends or family members who are unable to get the DoorDash app and place orders, we discussed some tips for them so they can use your account to order their food or they can get a gift order.