If you’re a delivery driver looking for a side gig, you may have heard of Amazon Flex. But is it worth it?
Amazon Flex is a program that allows individuals to work as independent contractors, delivering packages for Amazon on a flexible schedule. The program has been praised for its flexibility and earning potential, but has also been criticized for its lack of benefits and job security. Whether or not Amazon Flex is “worth it” will depend on an individual’s specific circumstances and priorities.
Amazon Flex is an on-demand delivery service that allows drivers to make money delivering packages for Amazon Prime Now and Amazon Restaurants orders. You can sign up for two-hour shifts with pay ranging from $18-$25 per hour, depending on location. The great thing about this is that most drivers can complete their deliveries in less than two hours, meaning they can earn more per hour than the posted rate.
How Does Amazon Flex Work
Amazon Flex is an on-demand, independent contractor delivery service powered by Amazon. It allows individuals to make money delivering packages for Amazon customers. Here are the five steps involved in how Amazon Flex work:
1. Become Amazon Flex Delivery Driver
Becoming an Amazon Flex driver is a relatively straightforward process, but it does require meeting specific qualifications and having the necessary equipment. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to become an Amazon Flex driver:
- Check availability: First, check if Amazon Flex is available in your area. The program is available in about 50 cities, but if your city still needs to be listed, you can still create an account and wait for news from Amazon about recruitment in your area.
- Meet the qualifications: To become an Amazon Flex driver, you must be at least 21 years old, have a valid driver’s license, a Social Security number, and a smartphone with the Amazon Flex app downloaded. Additionally, you’ll need a four-door SUV, van, or pickup with a covered bed or midsize vehicle and car insurance.
- Apply: Once you’ve confirmed that Amazon Flex is available in your area and you meet the qualifications, you can apply to be a driver by creating an account on the Amazon Flex website and filling out the necessary forms.
- Background check: After submitting your application, Amazon will conduct a background check, including a review of your driving record and criminal history. If you pass the background check, you’ll be able to move on to the next step.
- Vehicle inspection: Amazon will also require a vehicle inspection. This inspection ensures that your vehicle meets the program’s requirements, such as having a covered bed for pickups or ensuring that the vehicle is safe and in good working condition.
- Complete the training: Before you deliver packages, you’ll need to complete a training program. The training will cover Amazon’s policies and procedures and safety tips.
- Start delivering: You can deliver packages once you’ve completed the training. You can choose your schedule and work as much or as little as you want. Remember that Amazon’s insurance policy covers all the states except New York, so you may need to add your rideshare insurance providing commercial auto liability, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, and comprehensive and collision coverage.
However, it’s important to remember that as an independent contractor, you won’t have the same job security or benefits as a traditional employee, and you’ll be responsible for your expenses, including gas and vehicle maintenance.
2. Schedule Delivery Blocks
Scheduling delivery blocks on Amazon Flex is an easy and convenient way to work on your schedule and earn money delivering packages for Amazon. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to schedule delivery blocks on Amazon Flex:
- Wait for approval: You must be approved as an Amazon Flex driver before scheduling delivery blocks. This process can take a few weeks, so be patient while your background check results are processed.
- Open the Amazon Flex driver app: Once approved as an Amazon Flex driver, you can start scheduling delivery blocks by opening the Amazon Flex driver app.
- Schedule delivery blocks: Go to the “Upcoming Offers” section of the app to see available delivery blocks. These are sections of time throughout the day that you can reserve for completing deliveries. Many blocks also show how much you will be paid for the delivery, a great perk of working for Amazon Flex.
- Select and schedule a block: When you see a delivery block you can commit to, select the offer and “swipe to schedule” to lock in your reservation request. Amazon Flex states most blocks are between 2 to 4 hours, but you can sometimes schedule yourself for multiple blocks in a day.
- Utilize filters: To make scheduling even more convenient, you can utilize filters to show you blocks that match your schedule. For example, you might only want a morning shift on a Wednesday so that you can filter things like “time of day” and “maximum hours for the day.”
- Canceling a block: If you need to cancel a delivery block, select “Forfeit Block” in your calendar no less than 45 minutes before the block starts. Any sooner than that, you may receive a penalty for late cancellation and get deactivated from Amazon Flex.
- Same-day schedule: Sometimes, you can schedule blocks on the same day, so the scheduling is still very flexible.
It’s worth noting that you can’t leave the house whenever you feel like it to make deliveries. However, scheduling blocks can sometimes be done on the same day, so the scheduling is still very flexible.
3. Pick Up Packages
When working as an Amazon Flex driver, you will be responsible for picking up packages at an Amazon warehouse or delivery station before delivering them to customers. This process is designed to be as efficient and convenient as possible. The Amazon Flex driver app is a useful tool to help you navigate to the pickup location and get your packages.
There are several different types of packages you can pick up for Amazon Flex deliveries, including:
- Amazon.com packages: These are regular packages that you will pick up and deliver. Delivery blocks for these packages usually range from 3-6 hours.
- Prime Now packages: Prime Now Packages are household items you will pick up and deliver. Delivery blocks for these packages usually range from 2-4 hours.
- Amazon Fresh: These are groceries that you will pick up and deliver. Delivery blocks for these packages usually range from 2-4 hours.
- Store Orders: These are orders that you will pick up from local stores and deliver. Delivery blocks for these packages usually range from 2-4 hours.
- Instant Offers: These are deliveries that start near your location. Delivery blocks for these packages usually range from 15-45 minutes.
Most deliveries are for Amazon.com orders or Prime Now, but getting the other three types of deliveries is possible. The various package types and the warehouse pickup process are the two main differences between working for Amazon Flex and most delivery gigs.
4. Complete Deliveries
With all packages scanned in, drivers can begin making their deliveries. During this process, they must stay within their delivery block time and follow all delivery instructions.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make deliveries for Amazon Flex:
- Check the app for your starting location: One hour in advance for Prime Now and Amazon.com orders. Other orders will show you the location in advance.
- Load up your vehicle: Make sure to have all the packages you need to deliver in your vehicle before you set off.
- Follow the app for directions: The app will provide you with directions to customers’ homes and everything you need to do.
- Make the deliveries: Follow the instructions provided by the app and deliver the packages to the correct address.
- If you can’t make your scheduled block: If something comes up and you can’t make your scheduled block, cancel at least 45 minutes in advance, or it may be marked as a missed block. For blocks that start within 45 minutes, cancel within five minutes to avoid being marked as missed.
5. Get Paid
As an Amazon Flex driver, you will be paid for each delivery block you complete, and you can track your payments using the earnings screen in the Amazon Flex driver app. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to get paid for delivering Amazon Flex:
- Add a bank account: Before you start delivering packages, you will need to add a bank account to the Amazon Flex driver app. This is where your payments will be deposited.
- Track your pay: The earnings screen in the app will let you track your pay, including the amount you’ve earned and the number of delivery blocks you’ve completed.
- Wait for payment: Amazon Flex schedules payments for Tuesdays and Fridays of every week. Drivers get paid through direct deposit, and funds reach your bank account about 1-2 days from when the payment was processed.
- Receive payment: Once the payment is processed, you will receive a notification in the app, and the funds will be deposited in your bank account.
Is Amazon Flex Worth It?
Amazon Flex is a program that allows individuals to work as independent contractors, delivering packages for Amazon on a flexible schedule. The program has been praised for its flexibility and earning potential but has also been criticized for its lack of benefits and job security. Whether or not Amazon Flex is “worth it” will depend on an individual’s specific circumstances and priorities.
On the one hand, Amazon Flex is worth working for if you want a flexible side gig that pays around $20 per hour on average. It’s also a good side gig if your vehicle is fuel efficient and you prefer delivering packages instead of delivering food or being a rideshare driver.
However, it’s worth noting that as an independent contractor, you will have to file your own taxes, track your income and expenses, and report all of this accurately. Additionally, Amazon Flex blocks are competitive, so how much work you get per week can vary.
Pros and Cons of Amazon Flex
Amazon Flex Pros
The biggest pro of driving for Amazon Flex is that it’s very flexible. You can choose when you want to work and how often, so it fits your lifestyle perfectly whether you are looking for a full-time job or something part-time. Plus, since most deliveries take less than two hours, there’s potential to make more money than what is advertised hourly rate. The app also allows you to track your miles and expenses so you can get reimbursed at tax time.
Another big pro of driving for Amazon Flex is that since customers already paid when they placed their orders, cash handling isn’t required; all payments are handled by direct deposit. This means no worrying about collecting tips or dealing with difficult customers!
Finally, many drivers report feeling safer while delivering because there’s no interaction with customers – all contactless payment systems are used instead.
Amazon Flex Cons
While there are plenty of pros to driving for Amazon Flex, there are some cons as well. First off, the pay isn’t consistent across all markets; some cities simply don’t pay as much as others due to competition among delivery drivers in those areas. Additionally, since you have no control over where your packages come from or go to, most drivers find themselves driving long distances between stops – which not only takes up more time but also eats away at fuel costs and mileage reimbursement rates. Finally, since there are no benefits included with being an independent contractor (which all flex drivers are), any medical issues or car troubles must be taken care of out of pocket without reimbursement from the company itself.
Overall, driving for Amazon Flex has its advantages and disadvantages, just like any other job – but if flexibility and convenience are what you’re looking for, then it could be a good fit! If you plan on taking advantage of this opportunity, do your research first so that you know what kind of pay rate is offered in your area and what kind of expenses will come along with the job before diving in head first! Good luck!